Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's A New Year!

Well, the new year has begun, and my desire to live happy, healthy and prosperously has become a mainstay in my thoughts. I have begun to set a few goals with the intent on taking one day and one goal at a time until forward movement begins once again. This is my 20th month being unemployed. Three weeks ago I was told that my unemployment extension would not renew and thus my life comes to a scary screeching halt. I moved from Washington, in April, to live with my dad in case the worst happened, and seems, for now, it has. Times are pretty bad, but they could be worse - I guess. I could be on the cold wet winter streets of Olympia vying for a dry place to sleep among the other homeless. God bless my dad for loving me enough to take Sam and me in.

Looking ahead... Life can become so complicated and though I have some major hurdles ahead of me this year I plan to focus on a concept: K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid! My sewing will obviously keep me happy in between interviews and hopefully hours at work (soon!) If I keep my mind focused on sewing I won't have a lot of time to get into trouble unless I become tangled in thread! Ha!

In project news I began the new year by preparing the materials for a quilt that must be hand sewn; Grandmother's Garden. During the holidays I had the opportunity to spend some time with family, away from my sewing studio. It was great fun to spend time at the Lakehouse, but it is so different there in the winter vs. the summer visits in that we aren't outside playing most the day. During the winter visits we spend time around the crackling fire, curled up in the sunshine (from behind a pane of glass)reading, or preparing the next meal. I totally missed out by not having a hand project with me. So, with the time I had I devised a new plan for my future road trips. I went straight home and began tracing, cutting and gathering the pieces for Grandmother's Garden. When I finish that quilt, I will begin a new hand quilting piece so I will always be able to grab a bag and go!

Before I close this first post of the year I thought I would share a couple recipes that I used for New Year's dinner. They were so tasty I simply have to share them. I found both of them on Food Network. Both dishes are what I consider comfort foods so know I'll be making more of them both.

The braised greens I substituted Mustard greens for the Lacinato kale, which I have growing in the garden along with the collards, chard and spinach. Such a tasty dish... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/braised-collard-greens-mustard-greens-and-red-swiss-chard-recipe/index.html

Also, the Mac N Cheese recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html I've made homemade mac-n-cheese all my adult life, but, I have never had a recipe. Recently, my daughter asked me for my recipe so thought I would look for one that is similar and use it as a base rather than starting anew. I found Alton's recipe and followed it directly. I've never used onions in my béchamel, but will forever more as the onion added so much yummy goodness to the flavor I can’t imagine ever making it without. Love love love!

It's been a great start to 2013.

O & O


No comments:

Post a Comment